Benefit of Gaming TVs
Gaming TVs had become more and more popular due to the growing demand for a more immersive gaming experience. If you are an avid fan of gaming, you will definitely be able to relate with this need for bigger screens and excellent graphics and sounds that gives you better gaming experience. So although most TVs today are aimed at being a normal TV set or for watching movies, the demand for better gaming experience had pushed manufacturers to include this specific feature in their products.
A lot of these recent developments have also got to do with the rise in demand for online game features especially since gamers are a significant part of the market and they are also one of the most avid followers of new developments in this industry. . Although TVs can be a bad option for playing games, manufacturers have made it possible to develop technology that will significantly reduce input lags making the experience more flawless. With internet speed connections being offered at faster rates, the lessening of input lags in TVs definitely has completed what you may call a better platform for gaming.
Given the somehow bad reputation of playing games on TV, why would anyone want to play in it? Here are some of the advantages that you can derive from it compared to playing in a regular computer:
- It allows you to play on a bigger screen giving you a more immersive experience. We all know that average computer screens are quite limited in size and if you want a larger screen, you will have to pay for a significant amount for it. Compared with computer screens, TV screens can give you that larger and almost life-like experience without having to spend much. You can choose from 40 to 60-inch screens which will surely beat any gaming experience on a 12-inch monitor.
- Colors can be more vibrant with gaming TVs. Although colors are not always much better on a TV screen, there are brands and products that can deliver more vivid ones and greater depth and contrast than an average pc monitor. Some of the best are those from Samsung, LG, and Sony although you may have to find the right model that will suit your taste. The recent developments in LED and LCD technology have made it even possible to play games on higher definitions.
- Gaming TVs are sometimes a better option for multi-player games. Since there are multi-player games that require only one screen, having a larger screen will definitely provide some benefits. It provides a greater field of view and it allows you to play even from a significant distance. So whether you are on your bed or on a sofa, you don’t have to move the monitor with you just so you can enjoy playing. It also allows you to bond more with your playmates since you don’t have to play from different monitors.
- Gaming TVs can be more practical. A lot of gaming TVs come with internet connectivity, satellite capabilities, and excellent display without consuming a lot of energy. Instead of having to buy different gadgets to get these utilities and incur a lot of expenses, you can get all of these by buying one appliance. It is also easier to switch from watching to browsing the web to gaming without having to go from one gadget to another.
Taking your game play from an average computer monitor to a full-scale TV can definitely enhance your gaming experience. Not only will colors be more vivid and life-like, the upgraded size and scale of the game also allows for fuller immersion in the game. Since the visual aspect is one of the most important aspects of playing, then a gaming TV will surely have a significant impact in the experience of the game.
Another thing that can be said about it is that viewing a game from a larger display somehow eases the stress of looking at the details in the monitor. Since they are displayed in larger scale, you don’t have to squint at messages or smaller images. This is one of the common problems that you can get from a smaller monitor and a TV seems to be just the solution for that.
How to Find the Gaming TVs
Finding the right gaming TV can be a difficult task if you are new in the field. Not having sufficient background about the features, advantages, and disadvantages of gaming TVs can end up into a nightmare if you purchase the wrong one. So here are some of the ways that will help you get the right TV for your gaming needs:
- The manufacturer’s website. One of the best ways to learn more about gaming TVs is by visiting manufacturer’s websites. They provide somewhat detailed information about the specs and features of the TV set as well as their release dates and availability. Since they are the ones who made the product, they are in a better position to give you the detailed aspects of the product.
- Gaming forums. Your next option is by visiting gaming forums. You will be able to meet more experienced players who can teach you a thing or two about gaming TVs. They will be able to give you some tips and techniques about which are the best options and on how you can avail them and where to buy them on a cheaper price.
- Tech reviews. Tech review sites such as those on CNET will give you an overview as well as first-hand reports on the TV’s overall performance when it comes to gaming. Since it is quite expensive to try to purchase all gaming TVs, it is better left to experts who can afford them. You will also be able to get to know about the latest releases or newer models which are available in the market.
- TV distributors. Distributors are also a good source of information but you still have to be aware that they can be biased if they are trying to push a particular brand or stock which they want to dispose of. But, the advantage of buying from local distributors is that they can offer you more technical assistance when you purchase. You will also be able to get in touch with manufacturers especially if you are dealing with warranty issues when you buy from local distributors.
- The internet. I am making this a general source since the web is just the best way of getting information. You can browse blogs, chat on social media, and read individual assessments of the product. You may also be able to obtain unique information which is usually not available on the manufacturer’s site or tech review sites.
So now that you know where you can find these gaming TVs, what standards or features should you be looking out for before you buy them? You cannot simply choose and buy them haphazardly especially when they cost a lot of money. Here are some things to keep in mind when browsing for TVs.
- Input lag. This is basically the delay that occurs from making your move or input on the game console to when that input shows up on the screen. There are games that can perform well even with a great input lag but there are also games, especially online video games, which require little amount of time to react to an enemy. This lag is about the TV’s lag and not a network lag which is more dependent on the speed of internet connection.
- A lot of the reason why people choose TVs for gaming is the bigger display. Now this can present some problems if you are on a high-def LED or LCD TV and you are playing video games. Movements can become blurry and edges may not appear to be that smooth due to the variations in game console speeds and TV refresh rates.
- This can be a bit tricky since there are gaming TVs that really deliver better gaming experience for a higher price but there are also some that do well enough at a much lower one. So, the decision would eventually depend on your actual budget as well as your option as to go for more features.
- Quality or cost-effectiveness. Cost-effectiveness is often determined by the actual use that you can get out of something compared to its price. If you are an avid watcher of films or TV shows then you will have a different set of standards in selecting your TV and you may go for high-def ones even though the lag is great. For those who just really want to enjoy fast gaming responses this can also mean a different thing and they may opt to buy lower resolutions as long as the input lag is at a minimum.
Remember that manufacturers often engage in heavy advertising in order to attract their customers and so you have to be really careful on how such adverts affect your buying decision. You have got to know first what features you really need and then proceed to looking for such features on different brands. This way, you can get the best product in the market without having to sacrifice quality and costs.
Top 10 Best Gaming TV Reviews 2015
Not all gaming TVs are created equal and so one has to choose from among a myriad of options before he can find the right one. Although greater variety can sometimes be an advantage, it can also be time-consuming and stressing as well. It will require a lot of time and dedication to browse all the available products and look at their features.
In terms of price, Vizio offers the lowest price range that you can get for a good gaming TV. They often range from $500 upwards even with a good high-definition display. The most expensive include Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba which usually costs more than $1,000. The best way to get these TVs for a much lower price is to wait for sale and promos.
If you are looking for durable gaming TVs then the more expensive ones are usually the best options. More often than not, the higher cost is due to better-quality hardware and additional software and technology. After-sales services are also often much better among popular brands.
To help you select the best gaming TV for you, we have collected the top 10 TVs that are suitable for gaming. They were selected based on their price, quality, and features but the degree to which they meet these standards will vary at one point or another. They are presented here to narrow down possible options in case you find it hard to find the best TV for you.
In terms of its price, this is one of the most affordable that you can get in the market at about $500. The overall look of this TV does not in any way present it as something cheap and the display is quite good considering its price.
Some of its good features are its LED lighting which gives good blacks and input lag is not that noticeable when playing at all.
In terms of display, Samsung had always been quite a good option and this model is one of them. It has a 60Hz refresh rate which provides somewhat smoother movements on the screen. Although pictures can look a bit paler compared to higher end TVs, this is a good option for its price.
One of the best features of this TV is its built-in 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wi-Fi so connecting to online games is pretty easy. The display is quite good with its LED lighting. It has a Clear Motion Rate of 120Hz if you want great visuals but this actually results to longer lags on the game.
This is a good option if you want to watch shows or movies in 3D and be able to switch to gaming mode easily. Display is not that good though with poor blacks and images tend to have a washed-out look. At 120Hz refresh rate, it seems to perform poorly in motion videos and images can be a bit blurry at times.
This can be considered as one of the best gaming TVs out in the market. The resolution is definitely good even at lower settings and it has a record input lag of only 17ms which is really one of the best. It has a clear and sharp display with excellent blacks so you get better depth with pictures.
There is a reason why Sony is a popular choice in gaming TVs and this is one of the reasons why: it has one of the least input lags of only 15ms. It delivers excellent images with only 1080p and it is also compatible with standard game refresh rates of 60Hz. Another advantage of this model is that it is PS3 ready and you can easily connect to an online game just by using your Dualshock 3 controller on this TV.
If your games do not really require a lot of real-time inputs and you want high-definition display then this is your best option. This TV allows full HD gaming experience with a 24ms lag and an option for game mode if you want a lesser input lag. It has one of the best blacks on the market and its built-in Wi-Fi also makes it easier to connect with online games.
This has one of the best displays in the market with a refresh rate of 240Hz and a Clear Motion Rate of 1200 so moving images appear really flawless. It has a sharp contrast and a broad spectrum of colors so display is really great. The curved model allows for lesser light reflections and a more immersive gaming experience.
This Sony model has an input lag of 17-19ms which is really great compared to other models. It has a refresh rate of 240Hz and Sony’s Triluminos display which makes brilliant contrasts and colors. Its built in Wi-Fi allows you to connect to online games and the 3D feature gives you more viewing options when watching movies or TV.
The advantages of this model are its slim design as well as its various options for gaming. It has a Dynamic Mode where you can choose to play games with excellent visuals at 120Hz refresh rates and a Game Mode where input lag is reduced. Its 1080p display ensures high-definition displays as well.
With the number of models that are being touted as good gaming TVs nowadays, it can be difficult to really determine which one is for you. There are some features which are usually added that you may not really need at all especially if you don’t really plan on using them often. One example is the 3D feature since not a lot of games are available in this format.
Another feature which is quite popular today is the 4K display. Now, if you want a great TV with gaming features then this can be a good option but if you are only looking forward to using it to play video games, then you may have to settle with 1080p formats. Most games today are still not compatible with 4K resolutions and if you do decide to play in 4K then you have limited and even unpopular game options.
There is also the curved TV feature which others take to be an advantage while others do not. Well, this depends on your own personal preference as well as your experience. Although the general rule is that curved TVs only work well in larger screens which means you may have to purchase a 50 to 60-inch TV to enjoy its benefits.
The best gaming TV that you can find are those that meets your needs and expectations for gaming which are mainly good graphics and less input lags. Today, these needs are being addressed with the development of newer technology as well as innovative materials. This means though that you may have to shell-out more money to get better quality.
In terms of display, there are a variety of features which are being offered in the market which aims to meet better visuals such as excellent LED backlighting for darker blacks and broad spectrum colors for a truer and more life-like rendering of images. If you really want sharp images then your best bet are the high-end Sony and LG models. Samsung comes in third with most models coming up with less-satisfactory image quality.
As far as input lag is concerned, Sony also stands out as the best with the least amount of lag at 15 to 17 milliseconds. Next are LG and Samsung with about 30 to 40 milliseconds which are considered to be at mid-range. Lastly, is Vizio with 60 up to 100+ lag depending on your display settings. Your option will depend on whether your game would need fast responses or not.
In the end, choosing a gaming TV will depend on your own needs and preferences: do you want high definition display while sacrificing gaming speeds or would you rather have lesser quality images as long as input lag is minimized? Higher refresh rates will be of considerable value as well especially if you are looking for smoother transition in movies although an average 60 to 120 Hz will do just fine. The standard 1080p resolution is also a good option despite the presence of 4K TVs.